Sunday, November 7, 2010

November 7, 2010




I got back tonite from CF Taranis Winter Challenge 2010 in Victorisa. I did not do as well as I thought I would. I ended up 44th out 64 men. since one of the WODs did not play to a single strength that I have I did as good as should have. It was all I could I do to keep moving through the third WOD. That WOD will forever after be the most brutal WOD I have every done (until the next one that is that bad, of course).

I think that there were only 2 older guys in my age range (38 & 41) who competed in the individuals. Ian Chapman and John Langford, who finished around 33rd and 14th respectively. Totally awesome athletes by the way, and super nice guys. So considering that everyone else was under 30 and on the sunny side of 25, I did pretty well (just not as well as Ian & John L.).

4 WODs were programmed as follows ( I will update later with results as I can remember/they are posted on CF Taranis' website).

WOD #1:
Within a 10 minute time limit, perform a max set of pull-ups (ends when hands leave the bar) and then in the remaining time establish a 1 RM squat clean

33 pull-ups
240 # for 1RM Squat clean


WOD #2:
3 rounds for time with a 5 minute cap:
15 walls balls (20 # ball)
10 burpees

3:53


WOD #3: (worst WOD of my life)20 minute AMRAP
- 20 backwards skips
- 20 air squats
- 20 double-unders
- 200 meter run

6 rounds. + backwards skips, squats & double-unders


WOD#4
5 rounds for time of:
-9 deadlifts w/135#s
-6 power cleans w/135#s
-3 Squat cleans and overhead anyway w/135#s

7:27 ? (not sure)


Came down with severe cramps in my quads in the long intermission between WOD # 3 & 4. I will write more on that later if I get the chance. It was awful. I came close to not being able to even walk out on the floor to compete in the last WOD and taking a short trip to the local hospital. Luckily for me I got some good advice about getting rid of the cramps from my coach Jeff Vale, tried a few things (gatorade, 'revive' vitatmin water, 5 salt packets, 4 bananas) and just barely rallied in time to walk out in time for my heat.

Then, I won my heat. Great ending to a great day.

It was a great weekend and a lot of fun. As my coach and friend Jeff Vale told me I would, I learned a lot about myself, competing and so much else this weekend. I would do it all over again and will do it again next year.

4 comments:

  1. Found your blog through your winter challenge comment. Just wanted to let you know that Scott Tasaka is 40 and that there are quite a few 30 somethings in there including myself (34), Kieran and Cam McConnell (34) as well and Garth Prouse and Matt from my gym. Those are the ones I'm aware of and I'm sure that there are others.

    Looks like we have opposite strengths and we actually finished pretty close in the final standings. I won my skipping WOD heat and came in near last in the barbell WODs. Hope you figure out that cramping issue. Hydration maybe?

    It was great having the Washington contingent up here. Definitely added another level of competition to the event. Might see you there again next year.

    Geoff Archibald

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was nice to see my name dropped in someone’s Crossfit blog. Its Ian Chapman and we did have a small chat at the team comp the next day. John Langard ended up in 14th place, which is incredible considering he has only been training with me for 11months. We do main site WODs in my garage, 3 on 1 off. I have basically converted my garage into a Crossfit box for my own personal use. I have enough gear to do main site WODs with 3 people. My wife Maren trains with us most days. She placed 11th in the woman’s comp. My wife and I were in the Winter Challenge last year as well and will come again next year. It is what makes us feel close to the Crossfit community at large, which it is hard to do through the main site. I found that the Winter Challenge has inspired me to go right back to my training with John and continue to strive for greater athletic performance. We really enjoyed watching the team comp. and would like to put an "unaffiliated" team in next year. We just have to convince Johns wife that it’s a good idea to do this to yourself. Hope to see you and everyone else next year to 3-2-1 GO. Ian Chapman/North Saanich BC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geoff:

    Congrats winning your heat in the 20 minute AMRAP! That WOD nearly killed me. 20 minutes of nothing that I am good at. I was saved by the last WOD. That was tailor made for me even as broken up as I was by the end of the day. Probably what evened us out in the end. The moral of that story is you may need to do more barbell/Olympic lifting and I need to do a tremendous amount of running and double-unders before next.

    Good to know that there were a few more 30 somethings than I knew about in the competition. That is what I original had thought, but my wife convinced me otherwise. I did not watch much of the other heats other than the one before me until the last WOD, so I did not see everybody in the competition except walking around in between WODs.

    I am pretty sure the cramps were due to near zero salt or electrolytes. I had been eating paleo all day and the only salt I had was on some macadamia nuts I was eating. I think I was over-hydrated and did not have enough salt in my body to absorb the water. Once I got salt, electrolytes and a mega dose of potassium in me I was good to go in about 45 minutes. Next time I will break down and switch off between Gatorade and water instead of just water.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ian:

    I am really glad that you commented here.

    I was very impressed by both you and John doing so well after you both told me that you work out together in your garage. I worked out in my garage for about a year and half by myself before joining CrossFit Snohomish in June of this year. I think I would have been a lot farther along had I had a training partner or joined a gym earlier. Having a bad ass training partner like the two of you do is key. I have a couple good ones at CF Snohomish, all who have different strengths than mine. That way I always have someone to try to beat or keep up with. Makes all the difference in the world for me.

    That is awesome that your wife did so well too, the women competitors looked damn tough.

    I too was crazy inspired by the Winter Challenge. I am even more determined than before to train harder and push myself. Can’t wait to compete again next year.

    I have always followed the main site programming too, and the gym I joined follows it too. We are going to try to do a little 5-3-1 strength work too, but still will be following the main site religiously. If you guys ever want to chat about training drop me a line at john.pavlic@foremost.com.

    I look forward to seeing Team Unaffliated smashing the team competition next year at Taranis next year.

    3-2-1 Go!

    ReplyDelete